Cancer affects virtually everyone – learning holistic ways to prevent it can help save your life or a loved one’s.
For cancer-prevention tips, I talked with Dr. Natalie Gianforte, D.C., and Jesse Haas, Functional Nutritionist and founder of Wellness Minneapolis. Here’s what I learned.
What is Cancer?
Cancer cells are abnormal cells. Everyone has cancer cells in their bodies. The immune system is designed to identify, destroy and replace them with healthy cells. By keeping our bodies healthy, we support the immune system in this process.
Healthy cells thrive in an environment with low stress and toxin levels and plenty of oxygen, water and healthy food. Cancer cells thrive in an environment absent those things and high in sugar.
5 Healthy Ways to Prevent Cancer
There are factors outside our control that influence our risk of cancer, like inherited genetic mutations and environmental toxins. To help counteract these, we can make healthy lifestyle choices to set our bodies up for success in fighting cancer.
- Eat Well
- Drink filtered water – at least half your body weight in ounces each day
- Limit sugar – sugar fuels cancer, affects hormones like estrogen, and increases inflammation
- Eat real (not processed) food
- Eat organic, free-range and grass-fed – at least avoid the Dirty Dozen
- Eat bright/deep-colored vegetables and fruits – 7-8 cups/day
- Increase Oxygen and Exercise
- Take deep breaths – practice meditation and deep breathing
- Exercise to breathlessness. Short on time? Try HIIT
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Sleep, Rest, Decrease Stress
- Sleep at least 8 hours/night
- Schedule relaxation time
- Minimize stress
- Maintain a positive mindset and optimistic outlook – thoughts affect physiology and hormones
- Minimize Toxins
- Improve indoor air quality
- Use non-toxic cleaning products or make your own
- Use non-toxic beauty/personal care products
- Avoid plastic water bottles and food containers
- Minimize medications
- Help your body naturally detox by getting enough water, fiber, probiotics, vitamin C, magnesium and green vegetables
- Ensure Proper Nerve Supply
Your brain sends signals through your spine to the rest of your body to destroy cancer cells; if the nerves are blocked, the signals can’t get through.
- Maintain good posture – ears over shoulders
- Consider visiting a chiropractor
Make One Change – Today
“It’s really easy to get overwhelmed by all of this, but introducing one small change at a time is really good,” says Haas. ”Most people don’t treat their health as a top priority until they get the diagnosis or until [their health] is gone … Why wait until that point to start paying attention or to start caring?” Gianforte says. There’s so much you can do now to “reduce your risk and keep yourself healthy; don’t wait until you’re there.”
About Our Author
Laura Calbone is a communications/training consultant and freelance writer based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is passionate about holistic health, wellness and prevention.