I was so sure it wouldn’t happen to me, but then it did. When the pandemic started, I watched the majority of my inner circle lose their jobs, and my heart broke for them. Like a lot of scenarios, I’ve imagined in my mind, I thought, “I don’t know what I would do if that happened to me” and continued to work.
About 2 months into quarantine, I was laid off. This was a complete shock. After a few days, the disbelief that my reality had changed in a way I couldn’t predict, hit. What am I going to do now?
I am a big planner, and within 2 months, this planner’s world had been turned upside down. If I can’t plan even a week into the future, how will I function? What will my days look like?
While meditating a few ideas came to mind:
- Not planning. At this time, I’m unable to plan…so I won’t! This is a time to build my trust muscle and believe everything will work out even if I can’t see it. Looking back, there were a lot of situations that I couldn’t see the answer to, and in the end, they turned out way better than anything I could have imagined.
- Seizing the moment. It is said that unhappiness is due to wishing things were different than they are. By not allowing yourself to be in the present and accepting what it is, you are missing out on what is in front of you. Every time you wished you could stay home, what did you want to do? This is your time to live out your ideal day at home!
- Personal and professional development. What skills or courses have you been interested in but haven’t gotten the opportunity to start? At Her Nexx Chapter, there are many wonderful Workshop Facilitatores available to help you! If you are seeking guidance in the realm of career and professional development, look no further than Christine Horstman! Christine is a Certified Professional Coach, a Certified Career Coach and an Accredited DISC Trainer. She is also the host of Her Career Catalyst, a program that assists women in overcoming unexpected career dilemmas. Honestly, could this program be any more perfect for the current job market?
- Leisure and relaxation. After I graduated college, I wondered when I would ever have a span of time to just relax and start new hobbies. Well…now is that time! Recently, I decided to buy a hand lettering workbook, and it was an amazing decision! I have spent hours drawing and writing, something I haven’t done in years, and it’s an activity that doesn’t involve staring at a screen (which is an added bonus)!
We are all being faced with unusual circumstances. It is easy to fall into feeling stuck, being worried, and wishing things were different. What is going on in our world truly shows that all we have control over is ourselves, so what can we do to keep moving, relax and enjoy what is? It’s up to you.
Our Her Nexx Chapter Community invites you to join us where women are connecting with each other’s stories, exploring different experiences, and transforming ideas.
The Future of Connection for Women
- A Heart Transplant Candidate Filled with Gratitude and Hope: My Interview with Mary - February 3, 2023
- Laid Off and Leaning into My New Reality - June 3, 2020
- Taking Life One Day at a Time - April 24, 2020