Being healthy is not just about physical health but also mental health. How we feel, what we think, and the ways that we deal with stress are all part of this journey to mental wellness which includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Unfortunately, many of us may not be aware of the impact mental wellness has on our overall health. On this World Mental Health Day, I hope to increase that awareness.
Women often face different mental health issues as compared to men. They have higher levels of anxiety and depression, which can be related to physical health factors. Changes in hormones can lead to postpartum depression as well as emotional ups and downs during menopause.
How women experience mental health is quite different than men. Men may act out in anger due to depression, whereas women may have more fatigue, sadness, and a lack of motivation.
How to work toward good mental health
Since our health is a combination of physical and mental well-being, we must work on both to reach a healthy state of mind. Physical fitness can be accessed by how many miles you can run or how much weight you can lift, but in a broader view, what you achieve is making you mentally strong. Fitness is more than just a physical challenge; it’s a mental one.
Meaningful relationships – whether personal or professional, family or friends – boost our mental wellness simply through having connections. Spirituality, in whatever form it takes, may also provide direction and peace, leading to a greater overall contentment.
Looking for that feeling of connection? Check out our 30-Day Guest Pass to see what our Workshop Facilitatores are talking about this month. Her Nexx Chapter is where women Connect, Explore and Transform.
Here are some ways to attain mental wellness:
- Spend time with loved ones. Being surrounded by those you love makes a huge impact on your well-being.
- Meditate. In these times where we must do many things at once, plus take care of the family, doing meditation brings calmness to the body and mind.
- Exercise. Being physically fit not only helps the body, but it makes you mentally strong also.
Women have many roles to play in life. The challenges we face sometimes make it difficult to find that elusive balance. But with good mental health, you can discover that space where your busy life can stop for a rest.
Our Her Nexx Chapter Community invites you to join us where women are connecting with each other’s stories, exploring different experiences, and transforming ideas.
The Future of Connection for Women
- Experiencing Rejection? It May Just be a Redirection for the Betterment of Your Life - September 19, 2022
- Today’s the Day to Give Everyone a Great Big SMILE (Sending Magnificent Inner Loving Energy) - May 31, 2022
- 4 Tips to Help Better Manage Stress: Focus on Your Physical and Mental Refresh - April 25, 2022